Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Dream Educator

"A university has a longer view. It is not about a ticker tape of the day’s gains and losses. As I have said, it is about learning that molds a lifetime; learning that transmits the heritage of millennia; learning that shapes the future. It is about endeavors we pursue in part for their own sake, because over the centuries they have defined what makes us human."

That, my friends, is taken from a speech by Prof Drew Faust, Harvard President, at a welcoming ceremony for freshmen and parents last October. She sums up her speech by saying undergrad education "is not about filling a bucket, but lighting a fire".

Thought-provoking, isn't it? And Inspiring.

Especially for me, a newbie teacher, just getting my feet wet in the world of Educators. I had planned this for a long time – to teach, that is. But circumstances got in the way and life came along.

Last September, I finally jumped in, head first. After 13 years working as a journalist.

And I discovered a whole new world. A world of coursebooks and timetables, exams and exercises, lectures and tutorials, endless marking of papers ...

But I also uncovered a world of young inquisitive minds, some know-it-alls, some blur-kings, a few lost in their own world, a discerning number of bright sparks, even raw gems, and some whom I've made friends with, maybe for life. Oh, and a number who ask if they can be my sons :)

I can see now why teaching is a calling.

My 100 or so students are now a part of my life. I've touched their lives, in one way or another, and they mine. And this is just my first batch!

I've finished teaching for the semester and academic year. And now, am buried under a tonne of papers to mark. But instead of a cosy sequester in my humble office, I'm always being nudged by one student or another. A few drop by to hand in more essays. Others to ask new questions on subjects taught. Some to seek advice on upcoming projects, or on life in general. And some squeeze in just to say hello. One girl says I'm the only one she can talk to regarding her problems dealing with the recent passing of her grandfather.

It took alot of energy trying to teach these kids when the semester was in session. I found myself constantly on my toes to make them pay attention in class. To give them non-textbook answers to their endless questions. And to make them do their assignments well, and on time.

Now the semester may be over and lessons ended, but they'll continue to 'drop by'. The funny thing is, I don't mind it at all. Because I'm learning so much from them.

I'm chuffed when a smile breaks. Or I get an "Oh, I see...", or "Thank you, teacher!" I'm thrilled by the idea that I might be lighting a fire. Moulding a mind. Shaping their future. Exploring ideas and stoking dreams. But more than that, I'm thankful for the chance to join in the ride on their journey of discovery.

It's unnerving too. Many a time, I have to stop myself from giving 'honest remarks'. From rolling my eyes at inane and crappy ideas. Or minds that are one second too slow. A question may be a no-brainer. And the answer pointless. But I can't say that! They'll remember it for life. I too had my fair share of the good, the bad and the ugly teachers.

I'm a nurturing teacher.
Inspiring her students to discover, explore and imagine.
To see that Think Exist!
I know it's not easy, but I shall try my darndest to be that Dream Educator.
The best is still to come :)

I wish to end with another inspiring quote by Prof Faust. She's been called a historian with her eyes on the future. I can see why...

"Our teaching is about bringing students to be part of that experience of discovery, of learning that takes place at the frontiers of knowledge... Undergraduates are not only invited to join this great enterprise, their presence on the journey shapes the exploration itself."

She adds: "...teaching is not an act of ego or charisma, but a turning together toward truth, itself never final or complete."

3 comments:

ayman said...

what a sweet blog ... by a sweet teacher. I totally agree with you - about the not minding part when they drop by and just say hello, even tho you're busy.

one thing tho - don't hold back the rolling of the eyes, or the smirk - it's only human, and they KNOW you're human. a sweet one.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, sounds like someone has truly found her calling. Continue to enjoy your work, and the kids, and the no-brainer questions, and of course, the piles of marking.

Anonymous said...

Wah so inspiring....
Anyway in some ways I feel like I'm your ex student (and right now I m one of those dropping by :) ) and I must say, the rolling eyes..it has spikes! :) heheh...

luv, the 'protege' ;)